Why the Equip Our Kids!
We know that kids can’t learn and function well when they are hungry, so we provide healthy food, nutrition education, and support. Likewise, we also know that kids can’t learn and function well when they are struggling with anxiety, depression, fear, loneliness, and other big emotions that come with growing up today.
We need to equip all kids with the Emotional Intelligence skills that they require to grow up healthy and reach their full potential. (Emotional Intelligence is often referred to as EQ, just like Intelligence Quotient or IQ for reasoning and problem-solving.) Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) is the curriculum used to teach Emotional Intelligence.
The problem is, many parents, educators, businesses, and members of the public don’t know that there’s a proven way to teach kids Emotional Intelligence. If people don’t know about this, they can’t apply it in their lives or advocate for it in their schools and communities.
We Promote Emotional Intelligence
EQuip Our Kids! is a national nonprofit focused on boosting Emotional Intelligence throughout society, starting with early education and PreK-12 students. We partner with parents, educators, and businesses to promote universal and comprehensive adoption of Social-Emotional Learning.
How Emotional Intelligence Helps
Universal instruction to boost Emotional Intelligence means that kids will have the safety, support, and interpersonal skills that they need to excel in and out of school. Studies show that this sets them up for success later in life as workers, parents, and citizens.
In fact, we believe that there’s no mission more important to the long-term public good than elevating the human capacity to deal with ourselves and each other in a healthy and productive way.
When realized at scale, Emotional Intelligence will positively influence every facet of life and every challenge we face.
Increasing Emotional Intelligence For All
Here’s how we work towards boosting Emotional Intelligence throughout society:
- Create, share and promote online media, print materials and videos dedicated to educating parents and the public about all the positive, game-changing aspects of Emotional Intelligence.
- Provide guidance to parents on how to get SEL fully adopted in the curriculum of their children’s schools.
- Provide information and support to parents incorporating Emotional Intelligence into their parenting.
- Provide information and support to educators to drive adoption of universal and comprehensive Social-Emotional Learning in schools and classrooms.
- Partner with businesses to highlight their support of Emotional Intelligence and Social-Emotional Learning, thereby enhancing their exposure and reputation with new and existing audiences.
- Partner with other organizations with EQ- and SEL-focused missions to grow capacity and impact.
And, there are some things we don’t do.
- We do not provide any specific Social-Emotional Learning curriculum, program, product or service.
- We do not favor any specific philosophy or program related to Social-Emotional Learning.
- We do not engage in political lobbying or activities that would violate our nonprofit status.
How You Can Help
You can take steps today to boost your Emotional Intelligence and the EQ of those around you.
- Learn about Emotional Intelligence. Our resources and blog are a great place to start.
- Adopt Emotional Intelligence skills and practices in your home, work, and life.
- Advocate for comprehensive Social-Emotional Learning curriculum in your community’s schools.
- Have your business, or businesses that you support, sponsor our work.
- Donate funds to support our work.