National Day Supporting Social-Emotional Learning
Draws Unprecedented Recognition
Across the country, educators, parents and businesses rallied on March 11 for the third Annual SEL Day in support of Social-Emotional Learning in American schools. The day was a tremendous success by every measure:
- President and First Lady Biden recognized SEL Day and the importance of Social Emotional Learning with a White House proclamation. This signals to educators across the country that there is now support for SEL from the highest level.
- Proclamations also came from the governors of California, Delaware, Nevada, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
- More than 2,300 schools, districts, and organizations participated across all 50 states.
- Over 7 million views and more than 33,000 #SELday likes across social media.
- #SELday trended on Twitter for more than 5 hours on March 11th.
EQuip Our Kids! hosted six online panels, five of which featured parents who are SEL experts describing the transformation in their own children from experiencing SEL in their schools. Panelists included:
- Scarlett Lewis: Sandy Hook mom, Founder and Chief Movement Officer, Jesse Lewis Choose Love Movement
- David Adams: CEO of The Urban Assembly, co-founder of SEL Day
- Jennifer Miller: author of “Confident Parents, Confident Kids”
- Michael Strambler, PhD.: Associate Professor at Yale University School of Medicine
- Patricia Wilkinson: author of “Brain Stages: How to Raise Smart, Confident Kids and Have Fun Doing It”
As Scarlett Lewis noted during the event, Social-Emotional Learning provides “Incredible life skills like knowing how to have healthy and meaningful relationships and connections, manage our emotions, how to make responsible decisions, how to grow through difficulty.”
You can watch all the sessions at the Equip Our Kids! YouTube playlist.