Dr. Lorea Martínez
Author & Founder, HEART in Mind. Faculty, Columbia University Teachers College.
- Building Supportive and Resilient Classrooms with HEART Skills
- Importance of Adult Social and Emotional Skills
- Kids’ Stress, Mental Health, and Social-Emotional Learning
- The Research Supporting Social-Emotional Learning
- Equity, Social Justice, and Social-Emotional Learning
San Francisco Bay Area, California
Contact us for pricing on live events and custom presentations.
Dr. Lorea Martínez is the award-winning founder of HEART in Mind, a company dedicated to helping schools and organizations integrate Social Emotional Learning in their practices, products, and learning communities. She has worked with schools, districts, and organizations to guide SEL implementation efforts, including training teachers and leadership teams, and provided guidance to educational technology and media companies to help them integrate SEL in their products.
An educator who has worked with children and adults internationally, Dr. Martínez is a faculty member at Columbia University Teachers College, educating aspiring principals in Emotional Intelligence. She has conducted extensive research in the SEL field with a focus on SEL implementation, principals’ Emotional Intelligence, teacher preparation, and school climate. She frequently blogs about how to incorporate SEL in teaching practices, leadership and parenting.
She received her Doctor of Philosophy, magna cum laude, in Quality and Innovation in Education from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona. In 2014, she was awarded the American Education Research Association Graduate Student Award for Excellence in SEL Research from the SEL Special Interest Group.
Dr. Martínez started her career as a special education teacher and administrator. A native of the Costa Brava in Spain, she currently lives in the San Francisco Bay Area with her husband and two daughters.
Teaching with the HEART in Mind provides a comprehensive roadmap to understanding the psychology of emotions, relationships, and adversity in learning, while equipping you to teach SEL skills and develop social and emotional intelligence for yourself and your students. Full of practical techniques for educators of all subjects, this is your guide for transforming your classroom through essential SEL principles.
- How to create a safe, supportive school culture that encourages a positive educational mindset and better goal-setting.
- A three-step method to infuse HEART skills into lesson planning for every content area and grade level.
- A full scope and sequence by grade, along with critical indicators of mastery for each discipline in the HEART in Mind program.
- Strategies for teachers to develop their own social and emotional capacity for a more effective, resilient, and mindful teaching focus.
- Over 90 activities to implement SEL into your classroom—even virtually!
Empower your students to be their best selves. Get Teaching with the HEART in Mind today and plant the seeds for a more caring, equitable future through schooling infused with social-emotional learning!