Each of us doing one small thing makes a huge difference.
You could do one small thing from the list below to help some of the millions of kids suffering emotional “devastation” from the national youth mental health crisis brought on the COVID-19 pandemic. And those aren’t just our words: last December, U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy declared the national youth mental health crisis. The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry weighed in with concerns that these many children face a lifetime of mental and emotional problems compounded by learning problems.
Dr. Murthy specifically called for rapid advancement of what educators call “social and emotional learning” (SEL) in all schools. SEL has the ability to teach kids how to manage their emotional and mental states, re-open their capacity for learning, and gain life skills for success. This approach is especially needed because there are not nearly enough counselors and child psychologists to serve kids in trouble.
Your one thing might be one of the following:
- Share this message on your social media.
- Share information about SEL with at least one parent you know. Send them to https://equipourkids.org.
- Ask the HR director where you work to contact us for free information or free SEL workshops that would be helpful to parenting employees at your workplace. Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Arrange for one of our speakers to talk to groups you belong to. Email email@example.com.
- Call your local school (ask for the principal) or school district (ask for the superintendent) and tell that person you support comprehensive SEL in schools. It doesn’t matter if you are not a parent.
- Call or email your state legislators and tell them you support comprehensive SEL in schools. Again, it doesn’t matter if you’re not a parent.
- If you are a parent of school-age kids or younger, practice SEL tools at home. Visit https://equipourkids.org/survival-kit/.
- Donate a few bucks to our advertising fund. 100% will go to buy crucially needed ad time and space (none to our overhead) to inform Americans about the crisis and about SEL. And to develop allies in the cause. Visit https://equipourkids.org/donate/.
Or, you could find your own one, small thing.